February 12, 2011

Friday at Foster & Dobbs

Last friday at Foster & Dobbs on NE 15th, there was a selection of Casa Bruno Wines poured by Joe Moura. These notes are a little late, but I'm sure the wines are still in stock. Sadly I did not note the prices.


(+) 2007 Felsina Chianti Classico
Great 100% Sangiovese. It's seems rare to find a Chianti with this much honesty. A very direct and straightforward expression of red cherry, flowers and earth - classic! Well worth checking out.


(+) 2007 La Gerla Rosso di Montalcino
I seem to remember this as a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet and Merlot, but on checking for the blend, I found that it was another 100% Sangiovese. Surprising intense fruit nose, with a full bodied structure and hint of bitterness. I'm sure the price refelected its status as not-Brunello, but I preferred this...see below


(-) 2004 La Gerla Brunello di Montalcino
Sadly, I was put of but a touch of volotile-acidity upfront on the nose. Underneath was there was complexity and depth, but that first impression lingered. Still, the balance was spot on with a lingering finish. Hesitant to recommend because of possible VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment